Profile and Organization
Names | Figures | Facts
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the fields of health care, nutrition
and high-tech materials. Our products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their
quality of life. At the same time we want to create value through innovation, growth and high
The Group is committed to the principles of sustainable development and to its role as a socially and ethically responsible corporate citizen. Economy, ecology and social responsibility are corporate policy objectives of equal rank. In fiscal 2012, Bayer employed 111,500 people and had sales of €39.8 billion. Capital expenditures amounted to €2 billion, R&D expenses to €3 billion.
Bayer AG defines common values, goals and strategies for the entire Group. The three subgroups and three service companies operate independently, led by the management holding company. The Corporate Center supports the Group Management Board in its task of strategic leadership.
Business operations are the responsibility of the subgroups:
- Bayer HealthCare is among the world’s foremost innovators in the field of pharmaceutical and medical products.
- Bayer CropScience is with its highly effective products, pioneering innovations and keen customer focus, holds global leadership positions in crop protection and non-agricultural pest control.
- Bayer MaterialScience is a renowned supplier of high-performance materials such as polycarbonates and polyurethanes, and innovative system solutions for a wide range of everyday uses.
Central service functions are combined into three service companies:
- Bayer Business Services is the Bayer Group’s international competence center for it-based services.
- Bayer Technology Services is the global technological backbone for the Bayer Group and a major innovation driver.
- Currenta offers services for the chemical industry including utility supply, waste management, infrastructure, safety, security, analytics and vocational training.
Dual governance system with the following governance bodies:
|Board of Management:||4 members, Chairman: Dr. Marijn E. Dekkers|
|Supervisory Board:||20 members, Chairman: Dr. Manfred Schneider|
The Bayer Group markets some 5,000 products. Best-sellers include:
- in the health care field: Yasmin®/YAZ®/Yasminelle®, Betaferon®/Betaseron®, Kogenate®, Adalat®, Avalox®/Avelox®
- in the nutrition field: Confidor®/ Gaucho®/Admire®/Merit®, Flint®/Stratego®/Sphere®
- in the field of high-tech materials: Makrolon®, Baydur®, Bayflex® Footwear, Desmodur®/Desmophen®
Bayer is represented around the world by 283* companies. Global headquarters are in Leverkusen, Germany.
* fully consolidated subsidiaries (as of Dec. 31, 2011)
52,300 in Europe
15,300 in North America
26,700 in Asia/Pacific
16,200 in Latin America/Africa/Middle East
- included in nearly all the major share indices
- traded on all German stock exchanges
- dividend per share: EUR 1.90
Bayer Group Key Data
|EBIT before special items||5,025||5,671||+12.9|
|EBITDA before special items||7,613||8,284||+8.8|
|Income before income taxes||3,363||3,248||-3.4|
|Earnings per share (in €)||2.99||2.96||-1.0|
|Gross cash flow||5,172||4,599||-11.1|
|Netto cash flow||5,060||4,532||-10.4|
|Research and development expenses||2,932||3,013||+2.8|
|Dividend per Bayer AG share (€)||1.65||1.90||+15.2|